Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Citrus Cucumber Salad

It's been forever since I've posted a recipe--and it's not that I haven't been cooking.

I prepared this salad for school lunch today and think it turned out wonderfully and is well worth sharing. I'll give you the at home proportions rather than the somewhat larger amounts for when prepping for a couple hundred servings.
All dressed up with spinach and tomato.

Citrus Cucumber Salad

(Serves 4)

Ingredients:
2 medium cucumbers peeled and chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 green onion, white and greens, sliced thin
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

How to:

Stir together the cucumber, pepper, green onion and garlic in a medium bowl.

In a smaller bowl or shaker, whisk together the juices, olive oil, sugar, salt and pepper.

Drizzle dressing over the veggies and stir. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.

**And now, since you know I have to play...here's what I did differently...
I used 3 small, sweet peppers in red, orange and yellow for a bit of color. Also, I only partially peeled the cucumbers to have some of that dark green as well.

I think next time I make this, I'll add some of the lemon and lime zest to really brighten the flavors. I would imagine, if you like cilantro, a little would be a great addition, too.

Of course, serve this salad next to a margarita and you're all set!

Just sayin... 

No comments:

Post a Comment